Gosh, I love learning new stuff. Today, I read an article by Mill House Antiques & Gardens about dressers that I found very interesting.

Did you know that a piece of furniture referred to as a “dresser” draws its name from the fact that food was plated before it was taken to the dining table? In fact, the word “dresser” is derived from the French word “dressoir” which refers to a  large piece of furniture on which food was given its finishing touches.  There are generally two types of dressers – a low dresser and a high dresser.  The low dresser is also referred to as a dressing board or kitchen dresser.  Whereas the low dresser was solely used for the preparation of meals, the high dresser also served the utilitarian task of displaying the household’s wares.

Read article here or contact Mill House Antiques and Gardens directly at (203) 263-3446. They have some very lovely things.

This entry was written by Ray-Lee and published on July 13, 2010 at 6:30 pm. It’s filed under Antiques, Furniture. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post.

Questions, thoughts, comments

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: